Adventist University of the Philippines (AUP) traces its roots and humble beginnings to the missionary-oriented people who had a strong desire in developing young people for usefulness in life, more specifically in preparing efficient workers for the different branches of Christian service and ultimately for citizenship in the kingdom of God.
The coming of Elder L.V. Finster in 1908 as a pioneering missionary led to the conversion of young Filipinos to Adventism. Bibiano Panis, Emilio Manalaysay, and Leon Roda were also trained on methods of sharing the gospel. They impressed Elder A.G. Daniels, President of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, of the need to build a school for them. The matter was presented to the General Conference Committee and in due time a small amount was raised to purchase a five-acre lot (worth $6,500 equivalent to Php13,000 then) at the corner of Donada and San Juan Streets in Pasay City, where the North Philippine Union Conference of SDA is presently located. The rest of the money purchased lumber for the construction of the school’s first building. The school was opened in June 12, 1917 to 36 students, 12 of whom were girls. Part of the curriculum was the work program to help students earn money while they study. The first faculty of the academy were Professor I.A. Steniel, who was both the principal and business manager, and Professor O.F. Sevrens who was the preceptor. Both had come to the Philippines with their families as missionaries. Marciano A. Roxas was the first Filipino teacher employed by the Academy. In 1925, at the Spring Council of the Far Eastern Division, it was voted that the academy be authorized to carry fourteen grades, adding one grade each year towards 1927 and that the name be changed to Philippine Junior College. Elder W. B. Amundsen was elected principal in 1927 until the year 1931.
By the end of 1927, a 26-hectare tract of land was purchased in Baesa, Caloocan, then part of the Rizal province for Php 65,951.95, to accommodate the increasing number of enrollment. Prof. L. M. Stump, president of the college in 1931 directed the construction of the buildings. The school finally moved to Baesa Campus in 1932. It was also in 1932 that the Far Eastern Division permitted the elevation of the junior college to a senior one naming it Philippine Union College (PUC). The successful years of PUC could be traced back to the missionary efforts of administrators, teachers, students and church members who worked hard sans monetary rewards. The visionaries of the Baesa era composed and adopted the school song “Shine on Forever” in 1934.
The ever multiplying number of PUC enrollment has inspired the administration to purchase yet a bigger property which comprises 165 hectares of land located at Puting Kahoy, Silang, Cavite in 1972. The same missionary spirit that inspired the pioneers in the past has stimulated the administrators, faculty and students to work hard, sacrifice time, energy and effort; leaving behind the conveniences of life in the city just to move to the new PUC ‘mountain’ location. The year 1979 saw the first batch of freshmen and sophomore students in this new campus and, in 1981, with the movement of the juniors and seniors from Baesa, the campus transfer was completed.
Philippine Union College (PUC) to Adventist University of the Philippines (AUP)
Growing is a package of joy, crises and pain, which PUC experienced in all phases of its community existence. Through all these, PUC has kept on “shining.” On August 1, 1996 in accordance with Republic Act (RA) No. 7722 and by the virtue of the Resolution No. 132-96, Series of 1996, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) granted AUP the long-awaited University Status entailing the change of the school’s name from Philippine Union College to Adventist University of the Philippines (AUP).
AUP an Autonomous University
“Shine on Forever, Dear AUP,” a compelling command that knows no limit, keeps inspiring the university leaders, workers and students from all over the world to strive harder to reach the heights of excellence. Students continuously top the board exams and the other academic competitive tests which helped pave the way for the university to acquire Deregulated Status on October 22, 2001 and to eventually be awarded an Autonomous Status on October 27, 2003 for its meritorious achievement in the provision of instruction, research, community extension services, high performance of graduates in licensure examinations and for maintaining a tradition of integrity, excellence, and untarnished reputation in the educational service. On March 7, 2009, the Commission on Higher Education had again awarded AUP renewal of its Autonomous Status from March 2009 to March 2014.
The Newly Registered AUP
On July 8, 2009, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approved the Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws of the new AUP, and was thus granted a Certificate of Incorporation under Company Registration No. CN200909866 for a term of fifty (50) years.
AUP’s Accreditation and Certification
The Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP) has granted Level 4 status to the following programs: Arts, Business Administration, Science, Nursing, MBA and MAEd up to December 31, 2015. Level 3 status for Elementary Education, Secondary Education up to April 2013, and the Accountancy and the Elementary programs up to April 2017. The High School program has been granted Level 2 status by the ACSCU-AAI.
The FAAP through ACSCU-AAI has granted Candidate Status to the following programs: Pre School, Nutrition and Dietetics, MSN, PhD in Commerce, and EdD. On the other hand, PACUCOA has completed its preliminary visit for Medical Laboratory Science, Dentistry, Master in Public Health and Doctor in Public Health.
AUP has received Institutional Accreditation Award from FAAP on April 2010. This status will last until December 2015.
AUP is also given 5-year accreditation status by the International Board of Education-Adventist Accrediting Association (IBE-AAA), with headquarters at the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.
AUP in its desire to provide quality education and quality management system is also geared toward ISO 9001:2008 certification.